September 13, 2018
The #Media4EU research project interviewed more than 30 media leaders and experts from six countries about the parallel between the crises facing the sector and those facing Europe itself, as well as ways to foster better cooperation (read EURACTIV Special Report #Media4EU: Can innovation beat the crises facing the EU and media?). #Media4EU was a cooperation project between Fondation EURACTIV and the Université Libre de Bruxelles (Institut d’Études Européennes) developed in 2017. Several issues are feeding discussion at European level: disinformation and populism, shrinking business models, and the review of the Digital Single Market.
Solutions could include a European strategy for the media sector, dealing with the ‘Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon (GAFA)’ challenge, cooperation across borders, and skill-building programmes for media professionals.
#Media4EU led to the Stars4Media pilot project (see brochure). This is an exchange programme for media professionals, aiming at building key skills, boosting innovation initiatives, and developing sustainable business models (see list of moral supports).
The participants will be young media professionals (“rising stars”) from editorial, communication and commercial fields, with solid anchoring in their organisation. This exchange programme is divided in 5 steps:
- Creation of “thematic waves”: pairing like-minded media around a common topic
- Pre-selection of the participants based on profile and compatible ideas
- Match-making workshop to identify cooperative projects between paired media (1 week)
- Exchanges of media professionals between pairs of European media (2 months on each side)
- Development of innovation projects, sustainable business models, and follow-ups
This project was voted by the European Parliament into the 2018 EU budget, demonstrating its relevance and quality (see the list of moral supports, including 15 MEPs). Following the bidding procedure, EU-funded exchanges might start in 2019.